What the blog??

This blog is a textual account of my triumphs and struggles in daily life. I've discovered the core of who I am, now is my chance to discover the vital pieces that make up that core. If you know me well enough, I invite you to leave comments. These may be words of encouragement, observations, memories, Bible verses, or whatever else you deem necessary. I'm always open to hearing what my loved ones have to say.

9.24.2007

Hostile Work Environment

Interesting story...
A secretary in my office approached me at the end of last week with a disgusted look on her face. She clearly had something to discuss with me, but looked as though she didn't know how to start the conversation. Once she did, I was amazed...amazed that there is still such ignorance in the world. The question this woman asked, as if she knew I was going to agree with her, was if I thought I could "work with gays." Without hesitation, my response was, "Absolutely." She looked at me in disbelief and asked if I was serious as she sat down, probably trying to decide if she wanted to pray for me before or after she heard my explanation. Instead of going any further, I asked her why she thought she would have a hard time working with the gay population. She answered with yet another question: "What if one of them made a pass at me?" I explained to her my belief that it would be no different than a man she isn't attracted to making a "pass" at her...you say "no" and you move on. However, I added, most gay and lesbian people don't hit on people that they know are straight. She disagreed that it could be that simple, indicating that if a lesbian hit on her that would make her question what she could have done to make that person believe she was open to that kind of thing. We went on to discuss the religious aspect of the issue...which started with her stating that the Bible says it is wrong to be gay and ended with me arguing that it also names hundreds of other sins, but nobody seems to make such a big fuss about those. I don't understand how one sin can be seen as carrying any greater weight than another. How is someone who is gay or lesbian going to hell faster than a person, such as myself, who cusses and swears on a daily basis? Why don't you start throwing the Bible at all of the people, some of whom probably attend your very own church, who are having premarital sex? People need to take the word sex out of homosexual. These are living and breathing people with hearts, souls, and personalities just like the rest of us. They are just as beautiful and lovable as any straight person. I honestly believe you can't help who you love. Pick your battles...go after a group of people who are known for violence and destruction, murder, and other savage crimes...not people who just want to be left to love whoever their hearts tell them to love. As far as being able to work side by side with a GLBT person, who gives a shit what your coworkers are doing in their personal lives? You probably work on the same floor as a straight woman who allows her husband to sodomize her...but do you try to discover those things while you are at work or say that you wouldn't be able to work with that person? Here's a novel idea: mind your own business and do your job instead of walking around gossiping and eating candy all day. Quit judging people and try to open your heart to be loving and accepting of all people...that is really what Jesus would do. Isn't that what you walk around preaching anyway? I know I can't possibly be surrounded by social workers all the time...but can't people at least keep their ignorance within their own personal space? You can't possibly know by looking at me that I have a cousin who is gay, close friends who are gay and lesbian, or that my favorite professor in college was a gay man who once tried to live the "straight life"...so don't assume that I share your narrow-minded opinions. And if you are going to share them with me, be prepared to be challenged 110% by my open-minded beliefs and opinions. Why? Because I believe education is the only path that leads away from the ignorance that still exists in this world.

2 Comments:

  • At 9/25/2007 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My first thought was…..OMG!!! This is someone who works in Afton's office??????? In the social services field?!?!?!?!? I had to reread it and then continuously remind myself throughout the blog that the person you were referring to is a secretary and not a social worker. It just goes to show how many people in this world are so damn clueless, naive and hypocritical. I hear and feel the frustration in your words that you typed and I totally understand. Unfortunately, we can't change the beliefs of everyone!!! Maybe you talking to her helped her to at least rethink…. even if only for a moment, the statement that she made. Maybe it will also influence the way she interacts with this population in a positive way; hopefully she will treat them as humans and won’t be so fearful of how they are going to react to her. Let’s be optimists!!! ;) Besides….she’d be the last person they’d want to hit on with that attitude!!! LOL!

     
  • At 9/27/2007 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well said!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home