What the blog??

This blog is a textual account of my triumphs and struggles in daily life. I've discovered the core of who I am, now is my chance to discover the vital pieces that make up that core. If you know me well enough, I invite you to leave comments. These may be words of encouragement, observations, memories, Bible verses, or whatever else you deem necessary. I'm always open to hearing what my loved ones have to say.

9.08.2004

I want to be a rock star!


www.evanescence.com Posted by Hello
There are many days that I want to be Amy Lee. If you have not heard this voice yet, you've been locked in a closet somewhere screaming to get away from your own feces. I've never heard such a dramatic, rich, haunting, powerful, and intense voice in all my years surrounded by music. If I had a voice like hers, I would never stop singing. I can just imagine it. I would be one of the most obnoxious rock stars ever. You couldn't get me enough appearances on Jay Leno, David Letterman, The Early Show, MTV, VH1, you name it...I'd be one of the most over-exposed people out there, but I'd still be loving every moment of hearing my own voice. I already love to sing...but, unfortunately, when I'm seriously belting out a tune I sound kinda like a car that needs new brakes, has a flat tire, and needs engine work. You know, the kind that squeals as you accelerate when the air conditioner is on so you have to turn the thing off even though it's the middle of summer. Yeah, I owned one of those so I can laugh about it. Anyway, I'm veering off the subject. Even if I didn't want to be a rock star, I'd want a voice like Amy's. I could just hum to myself all day and be happy. Music is so incredibly important in my life. It's one of those powerful forces that can set the tone for your day, convey an important message, or tell the story of your life in just over 3 minutes. I think every type of music is worth making. I may not be as drawn to country as I am to rock, or to rap as much as I am to Broadway musicals but every genre of music being produced speaks to at least one person on some level...even if that one person is the one who happens to be making the music. Music touches lives. Too many people overlook the value and importance of music. It's impact is not taken seriously until some kids decide to shoot up their school and the community wants to blame it on the fact that they listened to Marilyn Manson. Where's the story about the abused child who draws strength and inspiration from Martina McBride's Concrete Angel? The media would rather focus on the East Coast vs. West Coast rap war instead of highlighting the work TLC members Rozonda Thomas and Tionne Watkins are doing to educate the community about HIV and AIDS. It gets exhausting to see that Britney Spears' chewed-up-and-spit-out gum is making thousands of dollars on eBay when there are agencies having to close their doors because there are not enough financial resources available to them. When will we finally be over Britney Spears? It's my personal opinion that the only true entertainment value she has left is as a tabloid headliner. Here's an Amy Lee quote that I would like to take out of whatever context in which it was first delivered and apply it as part of my disgust for Britney Spears:
"Every time a cool rock chick or actress seems to respect themselves as a strong woman, I'm like, 'Yeah!' And I love them, and they're my girls. And then they start to go downhill and people aren't paying attention anymore. So they start stripping their clothes off, because that's all they have left. I swear to everything I've ever known, I will never do that!"
That statement is just another reason why Amy Lee has serious amounts of respect, support, and admiration from me. This chick is totally real. She is passionate about her artistry. She's seriously talented and freaking gorgeous. On top of all that, she has one ginormous heart. She's said that if she wasn't a total rock star, she'd be doing something to help people. Too bad I'm just the opposite of that. I would totally be a rock star if I wasn't so busy helping people! =) I love that she doesn't write peppy, mainstream, pop stuff. Don't get me wrong, there's a definite time and a place for pop music...including Britney Spears' "I'm A Slave 4U". But there are also times when you just need to be sad or angry so that you can work your way out of whatever you're dealing with. Amy has a way with her lyrics that can seriously take you to the depths of those dark emotions and bring you back up to the surface again. It's not always about pushing aside your feelings and putting on your happy face for people. Like she says, "If all we ever sang about was how happy we are, we would be lying to ourselves. People try to escape their problems by getting drunk, partying and dancing them away. What really heals me is to sit down and think, face the facts, then you can get over it and be happy." I seriously doubt that this will be the last time I write about music. It's such an incredible source of emotion and insight in my life that I don't dare minimize its importance. Amy Lee is just one of the many talented artists that helps me realize that importance.
"Music is edifying, for from time to time it sets the soul in operation." John Cage, 1961

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home