What the blog??

This blog is a textual account of my triumphs and struggles in daily life. I've discovered the core of who I am, now is my chance to discover the vital pieces that make up that core. If you know me well enough, I invite you to leave comments. These may be words of encouragement, observations, memories, Bible verses, or whatever else you deem necessary. I'm always open to hearing what my loved ones have to say.

8.03.2005

Comment Phobia?

O.K. folks, what is it about leaving comments? I find this very interesting. I mean, people are incredibly entertaining. We all know I could sit and study humans 24 hours a day. I know everyone is different...but I'm beginning to notice vast differences in behavior when it comes to those who blog versus those who are not familiar with the concept yet. Here's what I find most fascinating...I can't quite grasp the fact that I'm putting myself out there with some of my inner-most thoughts for the world to see and some of the people who read them are still too shy to post a comment. I know that the people in my inner circle of friends and family are not the most up-to-date thinkers on this whole blog concept. But, I guess my expectations were higher about the fact that more people would be willing to put themselves out there a bit by adding something to the conversation. It would be one thing if nobody was reading the damn blog. My initial intention was for it to be an online journal with a hidden audience. I needed to put my thoughts out there, but I didn't necessarily want to know who was reading them. Now, it has become a means of communication. If I'm having a bad day, people check the blog to see if they can figure out what's wrong with me. If I haven't spoken to my friends in a while, they will check in to see what has been going on. Now that I have a niece, some people check to see how much she has grown since I last posted pictures of her. All this to say that the blog is being read, and quite regularly it seems. How do I know if people aren't posting comments? Well, that's simple...they are responding in other ways. That's what is so funny to me. I get emails all the time in response to something in the blog. I get phone calls. People send me stuff. But I don't get any damn comments! (No offense to the people who have left comments in the past!) You all know how much I value your feedback. I even tried to be subtle and throw a paragraph at the top of the blog about how much your opinions mean to me. I'm not looking for anything profound or extraordinary...just let me know you are out there, send some encouragement from time to time, and, by all means, let me know if it's time to add a new entry or an update. Now, here's a picture of my niece, you jerks...this is the face she made when I discussed this topic with her.

4 Comments:

  • At 8/03/2005 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like comments too! Sometimes I wish I had started blogging on a site like this instead of Xanga, only because non-Xanga members can't leave comments on there. And that makes me sad. Sorry I'm a big nerd and responded about your new e-mail address to your old one. I just don't think sometimes and you have every right to laugh your ass off at me. Go ahead...I'll wait... Heather and Adam both have Xangas too, so you should catch those (you get to them through a link in "Subscriptions" on mine, just FYI). Anyway, I promise to comment more as I catch up with your life and antics!
    - Kelly C.

     
  • At 8/03/2005 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Afton- I read your blog regularly keep it up. I find it entertaining and fun. Somtimes you wait a while between entries so its nice to see you blogging more recently. It's been educational to read about your thought processes, personality and experiences. Keep it up! - Secret reader

     
  • At 8/03/2005 10:06 PM, Blogger Afton said…

    Oh, Secret Reader, you intrigue me. Will you provide me with clues as to your identity? Do I know you? Are you a beloved thorn in my side? Seriously, who the hell are you? =) Thanks for entertaining me with your comments!

     
  • At 8/04/2005 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It is amazing how fast your brain waves fly. I bet it is very hard for you to sleep let alone be still. I really think you need to take a deep breath.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home